Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are extremely common and often are symptomless. Long term consequences of untreated STIs include cancers in men and women, pregnancies and infertility. It is estimated that 1 in 2 people under the age of 25 will contract an STI. Infections can be symptomless in 4 out of every 5 people infected. STIs are also known as sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) or venereal disease (VD).
STI screening is recommended if –
- You are sexually active and have not had a check-up before..
- If you have had unprotected oral, vaginal or anal sex with one or more partners.
- Your sex partner has had unprotected sex with someone else.
- You have any unusual symptoms.
- If you are sexually active and you or your partner might be having sex with someone else you should have a check-up once or twice a year
- Remember, some STIs show no visible symptoms.
Fortune’s Pharmacy Wexford has partnered with Let’s Get Checked to provide a convenient solution for getting checked without the need to visit a clinic. You can get your results in 3 easy steps.
- Kit registration and sample collection (this can be done at home or in our consultation area with the help of one of our trained pharmacists).
- Freepost return of samples to the accredited laboratory.
- Results are available online within 2 days of samples being received*
If you need to access this service please drop into the pharmacy and ask to speak to one of our pharmacists in private. You do not need to make an appointment. The service is completely confidential and anonymous, should you so wish. Information regarding what you purchase will not be shown on our till, at point of sale, or on your receipt.
* If you have a positive test you will receive a phonecall from a nurse who will schedule a free follow-up clinic appointment in a genito-urinary medicine (GUM) clinic. The nearest GUM clinic is located at University Hospital Waterford. If you have a positive test for HIV you will be contacted by Dr Dominic Rowley (Consultant in Genito-Urinary Medicine at St James’s Hospital, Dublin) to arrange a clinic visit. In all cases the clinics will be able to arrange for appropriate treatment and advice as well as assisting with the tracing of sexual contacts, if needed.
There are three screening options available –
Simple 2 (€50)
This is a urine test. It tests for
These are the two most common STIs.
Standard 6 (€120)
This is a combination urine and blood test.
It tests for
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
Complete 12 (€220)
This is a combination urine and blood test. It checks for
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Herpes Simplex Type 1
- Herpes Simplex Type 2
Further Information on the Let’s Get Checked Service
All tests supplied are CE marked in line with European standards. The laboratory is CPA (clinical pathology accreditation) approved and operates within strict industry and ISO 9001 guidelines. The medical director of the service is Dr Dominic Rowley.
Listen to what Rosemary McCabe has to say about getting screened for STIs using the Let’s Get Checked Service.