If you are a smoker then quitting is the single best thing you can do for your health. It’s never to late to stop and it’s not just your health that benefits. A 20-a-day habit is costing you well in excess of €4,000 per year! At Fortune’s Pharmacy we provide a comprehensive range of smoking cessation options to help you on your way. If you need to see how smoking is currently affecting you, our Lung Age and Carbon Monoxide checks are just the thing.
If you are thinking of quitting then come and talk to us. Our pharmacists will be able to guide you on the best course of action.
The health benefits start right away when you quit smoking:
- Within 20 minutes your circulation will improve, your heart rate and blood pressure will get lower. This reduces your risk of heart attack straight away.
- Within 8 hours the carbon monoxide level in your blood will drop and the oxygen level will go up.
- Within 24-48 hours all the carbon monoxide will have left your body.
- Within a few days your sense of smell and taste will start to improve.
- After 72 hours your breathing will improve and your energy levels will increase.
- Within 2 or 3 months your lung capacity can increase by up to 30%.
- Within 1 year your chance of heart attack drops by half and within 10 years the risk drops to almost the same as a non-smoker.
- Within 5 years the risk of smoking related cancers will be greatly reduced.
- Once you give up, your lungs start to fight back by coughing up tar. A mug full of tar builds up in the lungs of a 20 a day smoker over the period of a year. It is the toxic chemicals in tar that cause cancer.
These are just some benefits. No matter what age you quit smoking, you will:
- look and feel better
- have fresher breath and cleaner teeth, hair, skin and fingers
- have more control of your life
- be fitter and have more energy
- reduce your risk of illness
- reduce the complications of existing illnesses
- have a better quality of life
- be a good role model for your children or grandchildren
- have more money
- have a healthier family as they will not be exposed to your second-hand smoke
Lung Age and Carbon Monoxide Checks
Carbon monoxide is a gas released from burning tobacco. When inhaled it enters the bloodstream and interferes with the working of the heart and blood vessels. Up to 15% of a smoker’s blood can be carrying carbon monoxide instead of oxygen.
Our carbon monoxide test involves exhaling slowly and fully into a monitor which gives an indication of the carbon monoxide levels in the expired air. This test is a useful motivational tool for smokers hoping to quit.
Your lung age is measured by exhaling forcefully into a monitor. This calculates your lung age based on the volume of air you expired together with your sex, age and height.
This monitor also measures something called your FEV.
We recommend that you contact us to arrange an appointment for these checks.
For more information on quitting visit www.quit.ie
or call the National Smokers’ Quitline on 1850 201 203.
We get a lot of queries regarding e-Cigarettes. Our professional body, the Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland, does not consider it appropriate that we supply these products at the moment. This is because they are unregulated and no information is available regarding their quality and safety, or how useful they are at helping you to stop smoking.