Fortune’s Pharmacy is participating in a National Campaign organised by the Irish Pharmacy Union (IPU) and the Asthma Society of Ireland targeting inhaler technique. An important part of asthma control is being able to use your inhalers correctly and to know which inhalers to use when and why. During the month of March our pharmacists will be inviting all patients in Wexford with asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) to ask us about their inhaler technique. If you or a loved one have asthma or COPD feel free to drop into us at any time.
Don’t forget to bring your inhalers with you and we will quickly assess your technique. You should also bring any spacer devices and peak flow meters with you. We will go through every step in the process and if your technique is poor we will demonstrate correct technique and organise a follow-up check with you in a month’s time. Don’t forget, our pharmacists are always available to check your inhaler technique whenever you are getting your prescription refilled.
Some facts about asthma in Ireland
- 1 in 5 children in Ireland have asthma
- 1 in 10 adults have it
- 470,000 people in total in Ireland have asthma
- Children miss 12 days of school per year due to asthma
- Adults miss 10 days of work per year due to asthma
- One person dies every week in Ireland from asthma
- 90% of these deaths are preventable
- Asthma costs the state over €500 million every year
- There are over 5,000 admissions to hospital every year due to asthma
- 60% of asthmatics have uncontrolled asthma putting them at risk of an asthma attack
Remember – all patients at Fortune’s Pharmacy may enrol in our asthma management programme
You can also view inhaler technique on the Asthma Society website at www.asthma.ie/inhalervideos